Christ said, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works…” Have you thought lately about how you might let your light shine?
Consider some of the following ways:
- …the courtesy of letting a driver merge in front of you
- …the returned smile to the Wal-Mart greeters
- …the generosity of your tip to the pizza delivery person
- …the pleasant tone of your voice as you say, “Thank you” to the bank teller
- …the offer of an apology when you are wrong (Even to your kids!)
- …the time you give to a single mom’s child
- …the thoughtful note you write to a parishioner or teammate (Just because!)
- …the returning of your neighbor’s trash can that blew away during the storm
- …the bottled water left in the mailbox for the mailman
- …the giving of a hamburger and french fries to a homeless person, with a God bless you given with it
The result is as Christ said, “…that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.”Why don’t you set out this week to bring glory to your Father?
If you will take just a moment to take the following quiz, then you will see the influence that you can have with people when you let your light shine...
1. Name the five wealthiest people in the world.
2. Name the last five Heisman trophy winners.
3. Name the last five winners of the Miss America contest.
4. Name ten people who have won the Nobel or Pulitzer prize.
5. Name the last half dozen Academy Award winners for best actor and actress.
6. Name the last decade's worth of World Series winners.How did you do?
The point is, none of us remember the headliners of yesterday. These are no second-rate achievers. They are the best in their fields. But the applause dies. Awards tarnish. Achievements are forgotten. Accolades and certificates are buried with their owners.
Here's another quiz. See how you do on this one:
1. List a few teachers who aided your journey through school.
2. Name three friends who have helped you through a difficult time.
3. Name five people who have taught you something worthwhile.
4. Think of a few people who have made you feel appreciated and special.
5. Think of five people you enjoy spending time with.
6. Name half a dozen heroes whose stories have inspired you.
Easier?The lesson: The people who make a difference in your life are not the ones with the most credentials, the most money, or the most awards. They are the ones that care.
This month we are reaching out to the people that God has brought into our lives. Remember, this Sunday you are encouraged to invite a VETERAN to come to church with you. Sunday, the 18th, you are asked to invite a FRIEND to church with you, and then on the 25th, we are going to invite a FAMILY MEMBER to come to church with us. I expect many souls to be won into God's Kingdom...as we do OUR PART...Let the light of Jesus shine through us.
I love you guys, and hope you have a blessed rest of the day!
Rusty L. Blann