Friday, April 10, 2009

The Cry of Victory

This is the day that the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it. I hope you will as well.

As I type this blog, I am sitting outside listening to the birds sing, and the wind blow. It is cloudy, and a little bit chilly. As I sat for a few moments and just listened to the sounds, my mind went back to what the day was like over 2000 years ago when Jesus paid the debt for my sins. Today is "Good Friday" and the great love and sacrifice that Jesus paid for mankind is indeed very good, however, the pain, agony, and torture that Jesus went through was severe. He willingly gave up His life for me…and you.

As I was thinking along those lines, I began to think about a devotion that I read from Max Lucado this past week entitled, "A Cry of Victory." I would like to share the devotional with you on today's blog.

"It is finished."

Stop and listen. Can you imagine the cry from the cross? The sky is dark. The other two victims are moaning. The jeering mouths are silent. Perhaps there is thunder. Perhaps there is weeping. Perhaps there is silence. Then Jesus draws in a deep breath, pushes his feet down on that Roman nail, and cries, "It is finished!"

What was finished?

The history-long plan of redeeming man was finished. The message of God to man was finished. The works done by Jesus as a man on earth were finished. The task of selecting and training ambassadors was finished. The job was finished. The song had been sung. The blood had been poured. The sacrifice had been made. The sting of death had been removed. It was over.

A cry of defeat? Hardly. Had his hands not been fastened down I dare say that a triumphant fist would have punched the dark sky. No, this is no cry of despair. It is a cry of completion. A cry of victory. A cry of fulfillment. Yes, even a cry of relief.

It's over.

An angel sighs. A star wipes away a tear.

"Take me home."

Yes, take him home.

Take this prince to his king.

Take this son to his father.

Take this pilgrim to his home.

(He deserves a rest.)


"Take me home."

Come ten thousand angels!

Come and take this wounded troubadour to the cradle of his Father's arms!


Farewell manger's infant.
Bless You holy ambassador.
Go Home death slayer.
Rest well sweet soldier.

The battle is over.

Thank God, that Jesus paid the price and gave the cry of victory! It is finished! It is "Good Friday" but victorious Sunday is coming!

Blessings!

Pastor Rusty

1 comments:

Treasure Seeker said...

as always- i love your blog!

you are the best! i love YOU!

dorinda