Friday, December 11, 2009

Jesus sympathizes with my weakness!

Scripture:


Hebrews 4:13-16 (msg) Nothing and no one is impervious to God's Word. We can't get away from it--no matter what. (14) Now that we know what we have--Jesus, this great High Priest with ready access to God--let's not let it slip through our fingers. (15) We don't have a priest who is out of touch with our reality. He's been through weakness and testing, experienced it all--all but the sin. (16) So let's walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help.


Hebrews 4:15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but we have one who has been tempted in every way, just as we are—yet was without sin.



Observation:


Nothing can be hidden from God. He knows about everyone everywhere, and everything about us is wide open to his all-seeing eyes. God sees all we do and knows all we think. Even when we are unaware of his presence, he is there. When we try to hide from him, he sees us. We can have no secrets from God. It is comforting to realize that although God knows us intimately, he still loves us.


Christ is superior to the priests, and his priesthood is superior to their priesthood. To the Jews, the high priest was the highest religious authority in the land. He alone entered the Most Holy Place in the Temple once a year to make atonement for the sins of the whole nation (Leviticus 16). Like the high priest, Jesus mediates between God and us. As humanity's representative, he intercedes for us before God. As God's representative, he assures us of God's forgiveness. Jesus has more authority than the Jewish high priests because he is truly God and truly man. Unlike the high priest, who could go before God only once a year, Christ is always at God's right hand, interceding for us. He is always available to hear us when we pray.



Jesus is like us because he experienced a full range of temptations throughout his life as a human being. We can be comforted knowing that Jesus faced temptation-he can sympathize with us. We can be encouraged knowing that Jesus faced temptation without giving in to sin. He shows us that we do not have to sin when facing the seductive lure of temptation. Jesus is the only perfect human being who has ever lived.


Application:


How does this apply to me?


For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses-Our High Priest is not cold and unfeeling. That is, we have one who is abundantly qualified to sympathize with us in our afflictions, and to whom, we may look to for help and support in trials. If He had been a high priest who was cold and heartless; who simply performed the external duties of his office without entering into the sympathies of those who came to seek for pardon; who had never experienced any trials, and who felt himself above those who sought his aid, we should certainly feel disheartened in attempting to overcome our sins, and to live for God. His coldness would repel us; his stateliness would awe us; his distance and reserve would keep us away, and perhaps render us indifferent to all desire to be saved. But tenderness and sympathy attract those who are feeble, and kindness does more than anything else to encourage those who have to encounter difficulties and dangers.


Such tenderness and sympathy has our Great High Priest. Prayer is our approach to God, and we are to come "boldly." Some Christians approach God meekly with heads hung low, afraid to ask him to meet their needs. Others pray flippantly, giving little thought to what they say. We can come with reverence because he is our King. But also come with bold assurance because he is our Friend and Counselor.


We live in a time where so often we are "out of touch" in relationships, in style, in worship, in dress, etc. However, I am so thankful that Jesus, as our High Priest, is not out of touch with our reality. He has been through weakness and testing, He has "experienced it all-all but the sin." What a great encouragement today. There are many who worship "idols" made of money, stone, etc. I am so thankful that I do not pray to a God who is deaf, blind and unable to feel or sense my pain. But I serve a God who sees, hears, and is touched with the FEELING of my infirmity (feebleness, weakness or sickness). He truly is in touch with my pain, my struggles, my battles, my weaknesses...my reality.


That is one of the many reasons that I want to: "walk right up to him and get what he is so ready to give. Take the mercy, accept the help."



Prayer:


"Lord, I am so thankful that you are in touch with my reality. You know what the battles and struggles of this flesh is about, and how it feels. I thank you for taking on flesh and coming and dwelling among us. Because of that, I am encouraged that you know how I feel. You know what I'm going through when I face rejection. You know the feeling of betrayal. You know the frustration's of this flesh. You know the temptation to be angry and stay angry. You are truly in touch with my reality. I ask you to forgive me for the times that I have forgotten that you truly understand. That you are with me and will never bail out on me, or leave me. I love you Jesus, and I choose today to get what you have ready for me. I receive the mercy and accept the help. In Jesus' name, amen!"

0 comments: