Thursday, May 20, 2010

The God of the Breakthrough

Scripture:


1 Chronicles 14:11 And he went up to Baal-perazim, and David struck them down there. And David said, "God has broken through my enemies by my hand, like a bursting flood." Therefore the name of that place is called Baal-perazim.


Observation:


Notice how David likened God's power to the bursting forth of waters. In other words, he described it as a flood. He was saying that when the God of the breakthrough shows up and releases His power, it will be like a flood of His goodness, a flood of His favor, a flood of healing, a flood of new opportunity.


Think about how powerful water is. Three or four inches of water can pick up a huge car that weighs thousands of pounds and move it all around. I've seen on the news whole houses floating down the river in big floods. Nothing can stop the force of that water! Anything that's in its way is moved!


Application:


Today, you may have difficulties that look extremely large, obstacles that look impassable, dreams that look unobtainable. But know this: when the God of the breakthrough releases a flood of His power, nothing can stop it. You need to get ready not for a trickle, not for a stream, not for a river. Get ready for a flood of God's favor, a tidal wave of His goodness, a tsunami of His increase! Dare to believe that God is going to overwhelm you with victory in every area of your life today!



What are you addicted to? (Think before you answer). What controls you? What is it that you just 'can't' live without? What is it that you constantly turn to, to relieve your pain, your loneliness, or your frustration?


Addictive behaviour is often just an attempt to hide from reality, or to put off dealing with areas where we're hurt, or angry, or afraid.


Joyce Meyer writes, "Except for cigarettes, most of my addictions did not fall under the heading of 'substance abuse.' I was addicted to… reasoning… worry… judgement… compliments… self-pity… pouting… control… and work. When I realised I was addicted to these things, I determined that in God's strength, I was going to be free and live a disciplined and productive life.


"Everything was great - until the pain started. If I had not had the inner strength to withstand the pain, I'd have given in, which would have temporarily relieved the pain, but started the cycle all over again.


"Today God does not just want to give you strength - He wants to be your strength. Think about that! Through His indwelling power, He wants you to know that you can break every addiction in your life!"


Then she adds, "Make a decision today to become addicted to Jesus and His precepts - and watch your addictions begin to vanish one by one."


God wants to give you a BREAKTHROUGH!


Prayer:

"Lord, I am thankful that You are the strength of my life. You desire to give me victory. You desire to give me a Break through! Heavenly Father, I invite You to overwhelm me with You today. Take over every area of my life; my thoughts, my attitude, my body. Flood me with Your healing, favor, and strength today as I surrender my entire being to You. In Jesus' Name, amen!"

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Thank you Pastor Blann. Great blog today!

Josh said...

Thanks Pastor...Sometimes it's hard not to try and take back control of my own life when hard times fall. I panic, and then I get in trouble when I try to start trusting in "the arm of the flesh." Bring on the flood, Holy Spirit, help us believe what you promised.