Monday, September 28, 2009

“Spirit driven” or “Anger driven”

Scripture:

Job 40:1-10 GOD then confronted Job directly: (2) "Now what do you have to say for yourself? Are you going to haul me, the Mighty One, into court and press charges?" (3) Job answered: (4) "I'm speechless, in awe--words fail me. I should never have opened my mouth! (5) I've talked too much, way too much. I'm ready to shut up and listen." (6) GOD addressed Job next from the eye of the storm, and this is what he said: (7) "I have some more questions for you, and I want straight answers. (8) "Do you presume to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Are you calling me a sinner so you can be a saint? (9) Do you have an arm like my arm? Can you shout in thunder the way I can? (10) Go ahead, show your stuff. Let's see what you're made of, what you can do."


 

Observation:


 

Job's response comes somewhat short of repentance, so the LORD continues to remonstrate with him out of the whirlwind. He challenges Job to speak up like a man. After all, Job had accused God of injustice, and condemned Him in order to justify himself. Now then, let him play the part of deity by displaying omnipotence and by speaking in thunder. Let him take the throne, clothing himself with majesty, splendor, glory, and beauty. Let him pour out his wrath on the guilty and humble the proud. If he can do all these things, then the Lord will acknowledge his power to be his own deliverer.


 

How do you argue or criticize almighty God? Do you demand answers when things don't go your way, you lose a job, someone close to you is ill or dies, finances are tight, you fail, or unexpected changes occur? Job had obviously become offended and angry at God. He had gone from being "Spirit driven" in the beginning of this story to "anger driven." The next time you are tempted to complain to God, consider how much he loves you. And remember Job's reaction when he had his chance to speak. Are you worse off than Job or more righteous than he? Give God a chance to reveal his greater purposes for you, but remember that they may unfold over the course of your life and not at the moment you desire.


 

Application:


 

Job says something that I have had to say many times to myself, after I have spoken in anger or frustration…"I should never have opened my mouth!" I just happen to add my "big" mouth! How often have I spoken without thinking, then regret it later. Job goes on to say, "I'm ready to shut up and listen." That is a good idea for all of us. There is a time to talk, and a time to listen. Most of us spend more time talking then listening, especially when we get angry or offended. When we become offended, there are times we don't care who we talk to or how we talk to them. We make matters worse because we are now "anger driven" and not "Spirit driven." I know situations where an "anger driven" person has split churches because they can't keep their mouth shut. My friends, this should not be among God's children.


 

Listen to what God's Word says, James 1:19
"Understand [this], my beloved brethren. Let every man be quick to hear [a ready listener], slow to speak, slow to take offense and to get angry."


 

The Message version says it this way: James 1:19
"Post this at all the intersections, dear friends: Lead with your ears, follow up with your tongue, and let anger straggle along in the rear."


 

Has anger been straggling "along in the rear" or have you been "leading with anger"? It is a good and legitimate question isn't it? I don't like my answer though. There are times that I lead with anger and that means that I have become "anger driven." I can't be all that God wants me to be when I am anger driven. I can't do all that God wants me to do when I am anger driven. I will not accomplish God's purpose and plan for my life as long as I am anger driven. I need TODAY to allow the Spirit of God to bring healing into my spirit man, deliverance from offense, and lead me into a deeper forgiveness of those who have hurt me. There will always be things and people that I do not understand. But I must not allow an offense to become what leads and directs my paths. God deserves so much more than that from me!


 

Prayer:


 

"Lord, please forgive me for allowing my life to become "anger driven" instead of "spirit driven." I have allowed unforgiveness to turn into an offense and a grudge. This is hindering my walk and ministry with you. I ask you to forgive me. Help me to keep my mouth shut. My family deserves more from me than to watch me be anger driven. But more importantly, you deserve better. I yield to your Holy Spirit today. I long to be Spirit driven today. I give you my hurts and thank you for your healing. In Jesus name, amen!"


 

Blessings!


 

Pastor Rusty


 


 


 


 


 


 


 


 

0 comments: