Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Keep company with the Lord

Scripture:


Psalm 37:4-5 (NIV) Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart. (5) Commit your way to the LORD; trust in him and he will do this:


Psalm 37:4-5 (MSG) Keep company with GOD, get in on the best. (5) Open up before GOD, keep nothing back; he'll do whatever needs to be done:


Observation:


David calls us to take delight in the Lord and to commit everything we have and do to him. But how do we do this? To delight in someone means to experience great pleasure and joy in his or her presence. This happens only when we know that person well. Thus, to delight in the Lord, we must know him better. Knowledge of God's great love for us will indeed give us delight.


To commit ourselves to the Lord means entrusting everything-our lives, families, jobs, possessions-to his control and guidance. To commit ourselves to the Lord means to trust in him (Psalm 37:5), believing that he can care for us better than we can ourselves. We should be willing to wait patiently (Psalm 37:7) for him to work out what is best for us.


Application:


Memories of the good times he'd "kept company" with his father, was what eventually brought the Prodigal Son back home (Luke 15:7). And the right memories will draw you back into God's presence, to keep company with Him time and time again. When you are delighting and keeping company with the Lord on a daily basis there are times that you will have to COMMIT everything to Him in the midst of a struggle where you need some direction. So, as you are delighting and keeping company with God, you need to pray...


(1) Until change begins.
"But we all… beholding… the Lord, are changed… from glory to glory… by the Spirit." (2 Corinthians 3:18)



(2) Until you understand His plan for your life.
"For I know the plans I have for you," says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope." (Jeremiah 29:11 NLT)


(3) Until you recapture your motivation.
"I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living… be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." (Psalm 27:13-14 NIV)



(4) Until you receive His wisdom.
"I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will counsel you and watch over you." (Psalm 32:8 NIV)



(5) Until new ideas are born. "See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being, I announce them to you." (Isaiah 42:9 NIV)


(6) Until Christ becomes the center of your life.
"Delight yourself in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart" (Psalm 37:4 NIV).


Gospel singer Larnelle Harris sang a song years ago that I loved, but it challenged me every time I heard it. It was called, "I miss my time with you." Read over the lyrics, hear God's heart as He longs for you to "Delight and keep company with Him again":


There He was just waiting In our old familiar place. An empty spot beside Him. Where once I used to wait

To be filled with strength and wisdom. For the battle of the day. I would've passed Him by again, But I clearly heard Him say

I miss My time with you, Those moments together. I need to be with you each day. And it hurts me when you say You're too busy, busy trying to serve Me
But how can you serve Me When your spirit's empty. There's a longing in My heart Wanting more than just a part of you It's true I miss My time with you

What will I have to offer How can I truly care My efforts have no meaning. When your presence isn't there. But You'll provide the power If I take time to pray
So Ill stay right here beside You And you'll never have to say "I miss my time with you."


Prayer:


"Lord, I am so thankful that I can keep company with You. Forgive me for the times You had to say of me "I miss my time with you." Today, I choose to delight and keep company with you. In your presence there is fullness of Joy! I love you Lord, and thank you for Your divine, manifest presence. In Jesus name, amen!"

0 comments: