Monday, March 15, 2010

Thank God for DIFFERENCES

Scripture:


1 Thessalonians 2:7 We weren't aloof with you. We took you just as you were. We were never patronizing, never condescending, but we cared for you the way a mother cares for her children.


Observation:


In trying to persuade people, we may be tempted to alter our position just enough to make our message more palatable or to use flattery or praise. Paul never changed his message to make it more acceptable, but he did tailor his methods to each audience. Although our presentation must be altered to be appropriate to the situation, the truth of the Good News must never be compromised.


When Paul was with the Thessalonians, he didn't flatter them, seek their praise, or become a burden to them. He and Silas completely focused their efforts on presenting God's message of salvation to the Thessalonians. This was important! The Thessalonian believers had their lives changed by God, not Paul; it was Christ's message they believed, not Paul's. When we witness for Christ, our focus should not be on the impression we make. As true ministers of Christ, we should point to him, not to ourselves.


That Paul and his companions "were like children" among the Thessalonians does not mean they were immature or untrained. Rather, Paul was making the point that, like children, they were honest, straightforward, and without guile in their presentation of the gospel and of their lives.


Application:


The Scripture for today describes true Christ like love. Paul shows us the best way to reach people for Jesus: Be kind, gentle, and loving. How did Paul do that?


He wasn't "aloof" but took each person as they were. God created each individual with individuality. Each person is unique, and special to God. So, we should NEVER be patronizing or condescending to anyone. But we should truly care for everyone.


Our culture tries to get everyone to "fit in" instead of embracing individuality. Thank God for different personalities, talents, abilities, passions, and loves. Those differences are what we should embrace, not be afraid of.


I spent many years attempting to be "like someone else" because I didn't feel like I was good enough. I was liberated whenever I just accepted who God made me to be. Today...I am very thankful for my personality, calling, abilities, talents and passions. I do not WISH I was someone else, I am very thankful for who I am and who God is still making me to be.


Now, I want to live that out in my life. I don't want to be "aloof" with anyone who is different from me. I don't want to "patronizing" or "condescending" to anyone that is different from me, even if they make me uncomfortable. To be honest, I need some people that make me feel uncomfortable. It is when I move out of my "comfort zone" that I truly begin to grow in my walk with Christ. So, today I am thankful for each person that challenges my Christ like love, and my comfort zone!



Prayer:


"Lord, thank you for each 'different' person and personality that you have brought into my life. You are using them to move me to places I have never been. Please forgive me for the times I have been aloof, condescending, or patronizing to them. I will move beyond that today. I embrace the differences and am thankful for them. In Jesus name, amen!"

0 comments: