Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Training for godliness

Scripture:


1 Timothy 4:7-8 Have nothing to do with godless myths and old wives' tales; rather, train yourself to be godly. (8) For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come.


Observation:


Are you in shape both physically and spiritually? In our society, much emphasis is placed on physical fitness, but spiritual health is even more important. Our physical health is susceptible to disease and injury, but faith can sustain us through any tragedy. To train ourselves to be godly, we must develop our faith by daily spending time in the Word of God and by using our God-given abilities in the service of the local church. Are you developing your spiritual muscles?


Application:


There is a natural tendency to be drawn towards "myths" and other things that "tickle our ears and fancy" instead of depending upon the Word of God. Paul tells the young pastor Timothy to "train yourself to be godly."


Two years ago I began to jog with a friend of mine from the church. It took a lot of time, discipline and going through much pain, but it was well worth it. I was able to run four miles at a pretty good pace. However, I hurt my knee playing football in my mom and dad's back yard, and haven't been able to run since then. Now, I am out of breath when I walk around the block. What happened? I stopped "training" and because I did there are several consequences I have had to deal with: gained weight, out of shape, not able to play sports with my kids like I would like, not feeling good about myself, just to name a few. This happened because I lost my commitment to "training."


This same thing can happen in the spiritual realm. That is why Paul told Timothy to "train yourself to be godly." It is difficult at times to make "godly" decisions, to talk "godly", to make sure our actions are "godly" and to live a godly live. That is why we must die to our flesh. We must die to the things the devil tries to bring into our lives to enslave us to sin. Training is uncomfortable, time consuming, painful, and it takes discipline. In our walk with God, we must become determined to train for godliness!


How do you train yourself for godliness?


Time daily spent in God's presence (Prayer and worship)

Read and mediate on the Word of God. (Journal)

Accept responsibility for your mistakes (Admit and repent)

Instigate accountability partners (Transparent and Church attendance)

Necessitate the influence of the Holy Spirit (Spirit of Holiness)


It takes great effort to live godly:


2 Peter 3:14 So then, dear friends, since you are looking forward to this, make every effort to be found spotless, blameless and at peace with him.


Hebrews 12:14 Make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord.


But is is well worth the effort!


Prayer:


"Lord, my desire today is to live godly. That will not JUST happen. I must make every effort to live as You would have me to. I must train myself for godliness. That is painful at times. It is uncomfortable at times. But is always worth the effort. I need you Holy Spirit to lead me today in every decision that I make. Lead me in my speech, my conduct, my actions, my friendships, my walk with You. In Jesus name, amen!"

1 comments:

dorinda said...

this really spoke to me today. thanks for always challenging me to be better!
love you!