Tuesday, September 28, 2010

"You'll see soon enough!"

Scripture:

Numbers 11:21-23 Moses said, "I'm standing here surrounded by 600,000 men on foot and you say, 'I'll give them meat, meat every day for a month.' (22) So where's it coming from? Even if all the flocks and herds were butchered, would that be enough? Even if all the fish in the sea were caught, would that be enough?" (23) GOD answered Moses, "So, do you think I can't take care of you? You'll see soon enough whether what I say happens for you or not."


Observation:

When Moses expressed his amazement at the promise of God to provide flesh for 600,000 men for a whole month long even to weariness, and said, in the King James Version, "Shall flocks and herds be slain for them, to suffice them? or shall all the fish of the sea be gathered together for them, to suffice them?" he was answered by the words, "Is the arm of Jehovah too short (i.e., does it not reach far enough; is it too weak and powerless)? Thou shalt see now whether My word shall come to pass unto thee or not."

Moses had witnessed God's power in spectacular miracles, yet at this time he questioned God's ability to feed the wandering Israelites. If Moses doubted God's power, how much easier it is for us to do the same. But completely depending upon God is essential, regardless of our level of spiritual maturity. When we begin to rely on our own understanding, we are in danger of ignoring God's assessment of the situation. By remembering his past works and his present power, we can be sure that we are not cutting off his potential help.

Application:

How does this apply to me?

How strong is God? It is easy to trust God when we see his mighty acts (the Israelites saw many), but after a while, in the routine of daily life, his strength may appear to diminish. God doesn't change, but our view of him often does. The monotony of day-by-day living lulls us into forgetting how powerful God can be. As Moses learned, God's strength is always available.

Too often I find myself focusing on the problem instead of the Provider. Moses couldn't get past the fact that he had 600,000 men on foot, not counting the women and children, and God asked him to stand in front of this group of 2 million or so and say, "God is going to provide meat for you for one month." That was impossible. In the natural, it couldn't happen. There were not enough flocks or herds to butcher to make it happen. Moses didn't have enough of resources to see it happen, or to MAKE it happen. There are times that I look at my situation and say, "Lord, I don't have enough to see this happen, or to make this happen." And that is the very thing that God is trying to get me to see. He is the provider. He will create a way where there isn't a way in the natural realm. That is called a miracle.

Just like Moses, I wonder at times, "can God really make this happen? I know He has been faithful, but this is probably the most difficult of all of my struggles." And God's question to me is, ""So, do you think I can't take care of you? You'll see soon enough whether what I say happens for you or not." "Is the arm of Jehovah too short, does it not reach far enough, is it to weak or powerless to help you in this situation?" My friend, Jehovah God's arm has not lost any power, nor has it lost any length. He can still reach out in my situation, and make a way. And I hear God's Spirit whispering to me even now as I right this, "you will see soon enough that I am still all powerful!"


Prayer:

"Lord, I am facing a difficult situation. It is larger than me or my resources. I can't see how it can work out. However, you poured this Word into my Spirit today and once again, you have encouraged and strengthened my faith. Thank you Lord, that you are so faithful. Thank you that you are still omnipotent, all powerful. Thank you that you are still omnipresent! Thank you that you still perform miracles. You can still create order in the midst of havoc. You can still speak to the wind and it has to calm. You can still take limited resources like fish and bread and multiply it to miraculously go further than it naturally can. Please forgive for my lack of faith and trust. I receive your Word today, as well as the gift of faith that I feel flooding my soul at this time. When I am tempted to wonder, "is God's arm to short for this situation" I am thankful that, if I listen, I will hear you say, "you will see soon enough!" In Jesus' name, amen!"

0 comments: