Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Boots or no boots

Scripture:


Psalm 150:6 Let everything that has breath praise the LORD. Praise the LORD.



Observation:


How could the message be more clear? The writer was telling the individual listeners to praise God. What a fitting way to end this book of praise—with direct encouragement for you to praise God, too. Remember to praise him every day!


In a way, the book of Psalms parallels our spiritual journey through life. It begins by presenting us with two roads: the way to life and the way to death. If we choose God's way to life, we still face both blessings and troubles, joy and grief, successes and obstacles. Through it all, God is at our side, guiding, encouraging, comforting, and caring. As the wise and faithful person's life draws to an end, it becomes clear that God's road is the right road. Knowing this will cause us to praise God for leading us in the right direction and for assuring us of a place in the perfect world he has in store for those who have faithfully followed him.



Application:


In pre-Emancipation days it was common practise for white people to occupy the main floor of a church while African-Americans were assigned to the balcony. Every Sunday a black man called Frank would interrupt the sermon by praising God out loud from the balcony. Irritated, Frank's boss promised him a pair of new boots if he'd stay quiet. So Frank made up his mind not to utter a peep. The following Sunday the pastor spoke about all the wonderful gifts God gave us through His Son Jesus. Frank struggled to stay quiet, but inside he was shouting, "Hallelujah … Praise the Lord." Still, he kept his lip buttoned, thinking about the new boots. But eventually the Word of God connected with the Spirit of God that was within him. Unable to contain himself he jumped up and shouted, "Boots or no boots - I'm gonna praise the Lord!" I want that kind of spirit and attitude.


I certainly make the time and effort to complain, so I want to work at praising the Lord! I want to work at thanking the Lord! BOOTS OR NOT BOOTS, I'M GONNA PRAISE THE LORD! What an attitude.


We sit in church every week with our mouths closed, maintaining a facade of respectability and decorum. We go through the day and we often do not get excited about God's provision. We don't stop and THINK ABOUT THE LORD and what He's done for us. Why not let the words to the chorus get into your Spirit man today:


When I Think about the Lord,
How He saved me, how He raised me,
how He filled me, with the Holy Ghost.
How He healed me, to the uttermost.

When I Think about the Lord,
how He picked me up and turned me around,
how He placed my feet on solid ground

Chorus

It makes me wanna shout,
Halleilujiah,
Thank you JESUS,
LORD, your worthy, of all the glory, and all the honor,
and all the praise...


In the New Testament times, when Jesus "came near… the whole crowd… began joyfully to praise God in loud voices for all the miracles they had seen: [saying] 'Blessed is the King who comes in the name of the Lord'… the Pharisees… said to Jesus… 'rebuke Your disciples!'… He replied, 'if they keep quiet, the stones will cry out'" (Luke 19:37-40 NIV). Isaiah said, "The mountains and hills will burst into song, and the trees… will clap their hands" (Isaiah 55:12 NLT).


Stones! Mountains! Trees! Are you getting the message? God's Word says, "Let every living, breathing creature praise God" (Psalm 150:6 TM). Unless you're dead, that's what you should be doing!


Prayer:


"Thank you Jesus for your faithfulness. Thank you for your love, goodness, mercy, and provision. Forgive me for the times I have done more complaining thank praising. I am a blessed man, and today I choose to live like one! In Jesus' name, amen!"

0 comments: