Monday, April 19, 2010

No “tongue lashing” for the Word today!

Scripture:


Titus 2:5-6 to be self-controlled, pure, working at home, kind, and submissive to their own husbands, that the word of God may not be reviled. (6) Likewise, urge the younger men to be self-controlled.



Observation:


Having people of all ages in the church makes it strong, but it also brings potential for problems. Paul gave Titus counsel on how to help various groups of people. The older people should teach the younger by words and by example. This is how values are passed on from generation to generation. Does your church carry out this basic function?


Women who were new Christians were to learn how to have harmony in the homes by watching older women who had been Christians for some time. We have the same need today. Young wives and mothers should learn to live in a Christian manner—loving their husbands and caring for their children—through observing exemplary women of God. If you are of an age or in a position where people look up to you, make sure that your example is motivating younger believers to live in a way that honors God.


Self-control is an important aspect of living the Christian life. The Christian community, then and now, is made up of people from differing backgrounds and viewpoints, making conflict inevitable. We live in a pagan and often hostile world. To stay above reproach, believers need wisdom and discernment to be discreet and to master their wills, tongues, and passions so that Christ is not dishonored. How is your self-control?



Application:


As I was reading through Titus this morning, the last part of v. 5 jumped off of the page at me, "that the word of God may not be reviled."


The word reviled means, "verbal abuse, bawl out, chew out, rail, tongue lashing, malign, slander"


Paul, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit warns that we live a self-controlled, kind, submissive life so that the Word of God is not: verbally abused, chewed out, railed against, given a tongue lashing, maligned or slandered against.


I want to live my life today, very much aware that my choices will affect the Word of God in someone's life for the good or the bad. I never again want the Word of God to be reviled against because of my lack of self-control. I do not want the Word of God to take a "tongue lashing" by those looking for an excuse to blaspheme God and His Word. When I lose it because of my temper, or when my eyes wander to look at things they shouldn't, I am causing the precious Word of God to be "reviled" against. I want to live a "controlled, disciplined" life. The only way I can do that is to live a Spirit-controlled life. I must determine today, to walk in the Spirit. When I do that, I die to my selfish desires.


In Mark 5:4-5 the Bible tells us about man who "had often been put in chains… but he broke [them]. No one could control him." They couldn't stop him from hurting himself, because when you're under Satan's control the last thing you'll do is listen to those who care about you. When it's an issue of control, whatever the flesh wants it gets!


For example, have you ever been so convicted about a particular sin that you promised God, "Never again?" But a week later you ended up doing the same thing? The problem is once you start breaking promises to God it's easy to do the same to yourself and others. When you're in the flesh you feel like you can get away with anything. You think because you're so discreet that nobody knows the fantasies you entertain. Or you're so smooth because you've got alibis for all your sinful activities!


What you fail to realise is that by violating the boundaries God put in place for your protection, you're hurting yourself and jeopardising your future. It's not just a question of being tempted; the Bible says God won't "let you be pushed past your limit" (1 Corinthians 10:13 TM). It's a question of God being able to trust you to impose restraints on your own behaviour.

Is there an out-of-control area in your life? An infatuation? A hurtful habit? If you ask God to help you say no to your flesh and to exercise restraint through the power of His Spirit - He'll do it! That's a promise!

My prayer today is, "Lord, I will walk in the Spirit today so I can hear Your warning whisper when I about to cause Your Word to be "reviled" against!" How about you?



Prayer:


"Lord, thank you for this rhema Word today. There have been times in my life that I have caused Your Word to be reviled. It happened, and happens, when I do not place my life under Your control. I choose today to be Spirit-controlled. I fail often with self-control, but when I am Spirit-controlled, the light, love, and life of Jesus shines through me. Help me today to be Spirit-controlled. When that happens, there will be 'no tongue lashing for the Word of God today' from my choices. In Jesus name, amen!"

1 comments:

Evangelesse said...

Another awesome word for today! Thanks for all you are doing.