Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Called from DARKNESS into His marvelous LIGHT

Scripture:


1 Peter 2:9 (amp) But you are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a dedicated nation, [God's] own purchased,
special people, that you may set forth the wonderful deeds and display the virtues and perfections of Him Who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light.


1 Peter 2:9 But you are the ones chosen by God, chosen for the high calling of priestly work, chosen to be a holy people, God's instruments to do his work and speak out for him, to tell others of the night-and-day difference he made for you--



Observation:


Christians sometimes speak of "the priesthood of all believers." In Old Testament times, people did not approach God directly. A priest acted as intermediary between God and sinful human beings. With Christ's victory on the cross, that pattern changed. Now we can come directly into God's presence without fear (Heb 4:16), and we are given the responsibility of bringing others to him also (2 Co 5:18-21). When we are united with Christ as members of his body, we join in his priestly work of reconciling God and people.


People often base their self-concept on their accomplishments. But our relationship with Christ is far more important than our jobs, successes, wealth, or knowledge. We have been chosen by God as his very own, and we have been called to represent him to others. Remember that your value comes from being one of God's children, not from what you can achieve. You have worth because of what God does, not because of what you do.


In summary, we are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, and God's own special people who were once not a people but are now the people of God. That description should enhance the value of all of God's people. The key to a good self-image is found in the image of what we are in Jesus Christ. It is His image that is available to us as we trust in Christ Jesus. As the apostle Paul wrote, "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me" (Gal 2:20).


Application:


I am so thankful that God chose me to let those I come in contact with know the "night and day difference" He has made in my life. I am so thankful that He called me out of darkness into His marvelous light! Now, I need to daily, as the KJV says, "show forth the praises of Him who called me out..." I do this by walking, talking, living as a person of His light and not darkness. As professing Christians we do more harm than good to the kingdom of God when we live as if no change has taken place in our life through Christ. When your attitude stinks, when your language is crude, when you are rude...these are ways that we lived before God called us out of darkness into His marvelous light. That type of unchanged life, isn't "showing forth the praises of Him who called us out of darkness."


Paul said, in 1 Corinthians 10:23-24
"Everything is permissible"-but not everything is beneficial. "Everything is permissible"-but not everything is constructive. (24) Nobody should seek his own good, but the
good of others."


So much truth in this verse. So talk about how THEY have freedom to do as they please. The problem is, what you want to do may be ok, or permissible, but that isn't the question. The question should be..."is it beneficial or constructive" for others who are not living for the Lord. Too many folk believe, and rightly may I add, that there are many hypocrites in the church. The problem is many do what they want because it is "permissible" and don't stop to ask the question, but is "constructive" to the body of Christ. Often it is not constructive, but very destructive.


We have been called out of darkness, into His marvelous light so we can show forth His praise by being "New creatures in Christ." If I still act, talk, live like I did before I claimed salvation, then I need to re-examine my experience and walk with Christ. "Help me Lord to show forth Your praises today!"



Prayer:


"Lord, please forgive me for living a selfish life where it is all about me and what is permissible. I need to ask myself in every decision I make...Is what I am about to do, say, wear, drink destructive to Your purpose of building Your Kingdom? Thank you for calling me from darkness into Your marvelous light. I am a blessed man. I choose today to live with intentional awareness that people are watching my life. I do this not to please man, but to please You. Please forgive me for the times that I have been destructive to your purposes instead of constructive. In Jesus' name, amen!"

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Great message Pastor Blann and so true. We tend to forget that those inside and outside of our home are watching us. I pray that my actions speak to the good of my beliefs in Christ, as actions always speak and influence more than words in my opinion. We can say what we know we should but our actions are the ones that truly show who we are! Have a Great Thanksgiving!