Friday, November 6, 2009

The temptation of “Deism”

Scripture:


 

Psalm 42:2-5 I'm thirsty for God-alive. I wonder, "Will I ever make it-- arrive and drink in God's presence?" (3) I'm on a diet of tears-- tears for breakfast, tears for supper. All day long people knock at my door, Pestering, "Where is this God of yours?" (4) These are the things I go over and over, emptying out the pockets of my life. I was always at the head of the worshiping crowd, right out in front, Leading them all, eager to arrive and worship, Shouting praises, singing thanksgiving-- celebrating, all of us, God's feast! (5) Why are you down in the dumps, dear soul? Why are you crying the blues? Fix my eyes on God-- soon I'll be praising again. He puts a smile on my face. He's my God.


 

Observation:


 

Psalm 42-49 were written by the descendants of Korah. Korah was a Levite who led a rebellion against Moses (Numbers 16:1-35). He was killed, but his descendants remained faithful to God and continued to serve God in the Temple. David appointed men from the clan of Korah to serve as choir leaders (1 Chronicles 6:31-38), and they continued to be Temple musicians for hundreds of years (2 Chronicles 20:18-19).


 

As the life of a deer depends upon water, so our lives depend upon God. Those who seek him and long to understand him find eternal life. Feeling separated from God, this psalmist wouldn't rest until he restored his relationship with God because he knew that his very life depended on it. Do you thirst for God?


 

The writer of this psalm was discouraged because he was exiled to a place far from Jerusalem and could not worship in the Temple. During these God-given holidays, the nation was to remember all that God had done for them.


 

Depression is one of the most common emotional ailments. One antidote for depression is to meditate on the record of God's goodness to his people. This will take your mind off the present situation as you focus your thoughts on God's ability to help you rather than on your inability to help yourself. When you feel depressed, take advantage of this psalm's antidepressant: Read the Bible's accounts of God's goodness, and meditate on them.


 

Application:


 

As I read the Psalmist's words "Where is this God of yours?" My mind went back to Genesis 3 where satan came to Eve and began to attack Eve's trust in God and His Word. Read once again what the enemy of our soul said to Eve:


 

Genesis 3:1-5 Now the serpent was more crafty than any of the wild animals the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God really say, 'You must not eat from any tree in the garden'?" (2) The woman said to the serpent, "We may eat fruit from the trees in the garden, (3) but God did say, 'You must not eat fruit from the tree that is in the middle of the garden, and you must not touch it, or you will die.'" (4) "You will not surely die," the serpent said to the woman. (5) "For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil."


 

The enemy is so subtle with comments like, "Did God REALLY say...." and "For God knows..." and begins to make it seem like God was holding out on them and not wanting to bless them. The enemy has been tempting God's Children in the very same way ever since this moment in history. He tries to convince us that God isn't interested in us. That He doesn't care, that He is withholding good from us. That he has abandoned us, so we better take matters into our own hands.


 

What I just described is called deism. The actual definition of deism is: The belief, based solely on reason, in a God who created the universe and then abandoned it, assuming no control over life, exerting no influence on natural phenomena, and giving no supernatural revelation.


 

When we allow the enemy to subtly convince us that God isn't concerned about us, isn't listening, then the natural results is...we don't pray. There have been times in my life where I have allowed satan to convince me that praying about a certain situation would be a waste of time. Oh, I wouldn't say that out loud, but it was hidden away in my heart, and effecting my relationship with my loving Heavenly Father.


 

It took me a little while to rebuke that lie from the enemy, and understand that MY GOD said He would NEVER abandon me, and would ALWAYS hear my prayers. What a loving, awesome God we serve. Like the Psalmist in our text this morning, when tears begin to cry out in our heart, "where is your God" be ready to declare "right here with me!" as you stand on the following promise:


 

Hebrews 13:5 "... for God has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you."


 

Prayer:


 

"Lord, please forgive me for allowing the subtle lie of DEISM to penetrate my spirit man. I know you will never leave me or forsake me. Even in the times where I don't understand why I'm going through a difficulty, I refuse to allow my emotions to override my faith in You. I rebuke the temptation of deism, and move forward with my every loving, faithful Heavenly Father directing my steps. In Jesus name, amen!"

0 comments: