Monday, November 23, 2009

David's list of God's benefits

Scripture:


Psalm 103:1-5 Bless the LORD, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! (2) Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, (3) who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, (4) who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, (5) who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's.


Observation:


The call to bless God is repeated in verse Psalm 103:2 with the added thought: "And forget not all His benefits ['dealings']." Thus David gives all that is within himself to God and remembers all that God has done for him. Memory is always one of our best aids in worship


David's praise focused on the good things God was doing for him. It is easy to complain about life, but David's list gives us plenty for which to praise God: He forgives our sins, heals our diseases, redeems us from death, crowns us with love and compassion, satisfies our desires, and gives righteousness and justice. We receive all of these without deserving any of them. No matter how difficult your life's journey, you can always count your blessings-past, present, and future. When you feel as though you have nothing for which to praise God, read David's list.


Application:


This has always been one of my favorite Psalms. I should start every day by "blessing" the Lord, that is "bowing my knee in praise and worship to Him." This should come from my innermost being. "And all that is within me" bless his holy name; meaning not only all within his body, his heart, reins, lungs, but all within his soul, all the powers and faculties of his soul; his understanding, will, affections, and judgment; and all the grace that was within him, faith, hope, love, joy, and the like; these he would have all concerned and employed in praising the name of the Lord. This is how I should start each day. My theme verse is Psalm 118:24, "This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it."


"Soul...today you will rejoice in this day that the Lord has given you. And you will do it with all that is within you!" That is what David was declaring to his soul. He didn't matter how he felt, he was going to bless the name of the Lord. By blessing the Lord, DAILY, it kept him from forgetting all of God's benefits.


We have a tendency to forget God and His faithfulness. We have a tendency to moan, groan and complain. Instead we should praise, rejoice, and celebrate THIS DAY. Because THIS DAY God has blessed us with so many benefits and blessings. Why don't you stop for a moment and just begin to name the blessings of God. It may surprise you just what the Lord has done for you!


Someone has written in article simply entitled, "Blessed."


* If you own just one Bible, you are abundantly blessed. One-third of the world does not have access to even one.

* If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than the million who will not survive this week.

* If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony or torture or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people around the world.

* If you attend a church meeting without the fear of harassment, arrest or torture of death, you are more blessed than almost three billion people in the world.

* If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world.

* If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish someplace, you are among the top 8% of the worlds wealthy.

* If your parents are still married or alive, you are very rare.

*If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read anything at all.


Something to think about and thank God for, amen?


This week I plan to blog each day on the blessings of God. Thursday we as a nation celebrate "Thanksgiving Day." It isn't TURKEY day. It should be a day where we as a nation give thanks to God for all of His benefits. I am afraid that we as a nation have forgotten so much of what God has done for us. But...I can remember, and I will give thanks. Not only Thursday...but every day of my life!


Prayer:


"Wow, Lord! I am so blessed. You have blessed me with so many benefits. I take so much for granted. Please forgive me for "forgetting all of your benefits." You have truly redeemed me from so much. I bless Your name today, and thank you for Your faithfulness. Help me to start each day with praise and thanksgiving unto you. You truly deserve each thanks, praise and worship that I can give you. I choose today to remember. I will not forget today. In Jesus' name, amen!"

0 comments: