Monday, November 9, 2009

Seeking the FACE of God

Scripture:


2 Chronicles 7:11-15 When Solomon had finished the temple of the LORD and the royal palace, and had succeeded in carrying out all he had in mind to do in the temple of the LORD and in his own palace, (12) the LORD appeared to him at night and said: "I have heard your prayer and have chosen this place for myself as a temple for sacrifices. (13) "When I shut up the heavens so that there is no rain, or command locusts to devour the land or send a plague among my people, (14) if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. (15) Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place.



Observation:


After Solomon had finished the temple and his own palace, the LORD appeared to him at night with promises and warnings. In the event that God sent drought, locusts, or pestilence on the people, they should humble themselves, . . . pray, . . . seek His face, and turn from their wicked ways. Then He would forgive their sin and restore them.

Verse 14 may very well be the golden text of this entire book. Though originally addressed to the chosen nation of Israel, it has rightly been applied to those nations which have a biblical heritage. It is the sure road to restoration and revival for all times. If the conditions are met, the promises are sure of fulfillment.

J. Barton Payne comments: This great verse, the best known in all Chronicles, expresses as does no other in Scripture God's requirement for national blessing, whether in Solomon's land, in Ezra's, or in our own. Those who believe must forsake their sins, turn from the life that is centered in self, and yield to God's word and will. Then, and only then, will heaven send revival.


Application:



In chapter 6, Solomon asked God to make provisions for the people when they sinned. God answered with four conditions for forgiveness: (1) Humble yourself by admitting your sins, (2) pray to God, asking for forgiveness, (3) seek God continually, and (4) turn from sinful behavior. True repentance is more than talk-it is changed behavior. Whether we sin individually, as a group, or as a nation, following these steps will lead to forgiveness. God will answer our earnest prayers.


The part of this verse that God has speaking to me about is "seek His face." It is obvious that we need a spiritual awakening in our nation, but it must start in the people of God first:


1 Peter 4:17 For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God; and if it begins with us, what will the outcome be for those who do not obey the gospel of God?


God has been challenging me to stop seeking His HANDS and start seeking His FACE. When I seek His hands, I am seeking what He can do FOR me. When I seek His face I am seeking what He can do IN me. When I seek His hands, I am serving Him because of His blessings. When I seek His face, I am serving God because I love Him. Hands represent blessings. Face represents intimate relationship. Satan always questions the "why" or motivation of serving God. He went to God about Job and made the statement "you take away Your blessings and Job will curse you." What satan didn't understand was that Job daily sought God's FACE and had a very close relationship with God. The blessings were just extra, but not the motivation for serving God.


Every day I look forward to my daily FACE time with the Lord at 5:45 am. The house is still quiet, no one stirring...just me and God. It is in those precious moments that God shares dreams, vision, passion, direction with me. It is during this time that the Lord shapes my motives, develops character in my life, and gives me purpose for the coming day. Oh what joy it is to seek His FACE!


I am so thankful for the blessings that God has given me. But that is not, and must not ever be, the motivation for my relationship with my Lord. When it becomes my motivation, then I fall in to what I call "Crisis Christianity." That is where I just coast along in life, enjoying God's goodness, basically ignoring His promptings to fellowship. But when I face a trial that is bigger than I am, then I come running back to His HANDS. When I seek His HANDS and not His FACE, I will never develop the type of relationship with God that I was created to enjoy.


Prayer:


"Lord, forgive me for the times that I have sought Your hands instead of Your face. It is so easy in this world of ours to relegate you to a "vending machine" that I never pay attention to until I need something. I was created for so much MORE than that. I was created to walk with you, worship you, look into Your face daily...to seek your face. I choose today to seek Your face. I want to know you in a more intimate and personal way TODAY than I did yesterday. I choose to walk with You in fellowship today. I want to live my the nudge of the Spirit, so I will be today who you want me to be. In Jesus' name, amen!"

0 comments: